2014년 6월 12일 목요일

The 1130th Wednesday Demonstration





 Every Wednesday, the Wednesday demonstration is held in front of the Japanese embassy in Seoul. Yesterday (11/06/2014) was the 1130th Wednesday demonstration, and it was my second time to join the Wednesday demonstration.

 Unlike the last time(28/05/2014), halmonis (Korean word for "Grandmother") came to the demonstration. Lee Yong-su halmoni and Kim Bok-dong halmoni joined the demonstration.

 Few days ago, another victim of military slavery by Japan passed away. Now there are only 54 victims alive in Korea. About 20 years ago, there were 234 former comfort women alive, but now there are only 54 victims alive. Unfortunately, halmonis are not healthy. Most of them are very old and they are not in good health. They are running out of time. Every second is a countdown.

 Many people joined the demonstration including halmonis, citizens, Korean council, journalists, foreigners, and the late Bae chun-hui halmoni. 





  Lee Yong-su halmoni stood up in front of the people, cried out and sent her last message to the late Bae chun-hui halmoni. Some people started to cry when halmoni said Bae's name out loud. I had mixed feelings of sadness and anger. I felt so sad because Bae halmoni passed away before the Japanese government makes an official apology. When will the Japanese government make formal and sincere apologies to halmonis? It seems like the government is hesitating to make a formal apology. They should admit and apologize without hesitation.


 After the protest, I approached Lee Yong-su halmoni and sent my message. I told her to cheer up and stay healthy. Halmoni held my hands with her warm hand and said she is happy because people, especially students, still remember the victims and fight for the victims. Oh, I was so moved. I approached her to cheer her up, but her warm words and her hands cheered me up instead. I can still feel the warmth of her hand.


                             Halmoni, I love you and thank you so much. I support you 
                                                                   R.I.P Bae Chun-hui 



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기